It's the first time a battery-powered speedboat has surpassed 100 mph.
An electric boat just broke the all-time speed record for battery-powered watercraft, reaching a top speed of 109 mph. And while internal combustion-powered boats have long been able to surpass triple-digit speeds, this boat absolutely shattered the previous electric speed record for watercraft, which sat at a mere 88.6 mph.
The boat was constructed by Vision Marine Technologies, which bills itself as “the global leader in the electric recreational marine propulsion industry.” In a press release published today (and brought to our attention by Electrek), Vision Marine announced the record-breaking run, which took place at the Lake of the Ozarks Shootout, an annual boat race that raises money for charity.
The record-breaking electric boat, called V32, is a 32-foot catamaran that was specially designed to carry two Vision Marine E-Motion electric outboard motors along with the necessary batteries to power them. The boat was piloted by Shaun Torrente, a world champion in the Formula 1 Powerboat World Championships, a.k.a. F1H2O. Yes, there’s a Formula 1 for boat racing.
“We are here today to instill a new legacy by proving once again that a transition to electric power in the marine industry is at arm’s reach,” Vision Marine CEO and co-founder Alex Mongeon said in a press release announcing the new speed record. “We are this much closer to eliminating the colossal carbon footprint our planet is experiencing due to continued usage of ICE engines.”
Incidentally, the previous electric boat speed record of 88.61 mph was set by Jaguar Vector Racing in June 2018. The team, which was sponsored by Jaguar, used expertise from Jaguar’s involvement in Formula E to develop a high-speed enclosed racing boat powered by batteries.
More recent mentions of Vision Marine Technologies new world record:
- Electric Boat With Vision Marine Outboard Motors Hits 109 MPH – Inside EV’s
- Vision Marine Technologies and Shaun Torrente Amp Up the Electric Speed Boat Record – Wave to Wave
- World’s Fastest Electric Boat: Vision Marine’s V32 Can Run at 109 mph, Sets New Record – Tech Times
- Vision Marine Sets the World Speed Record for Electric Boats at 109 MPH – Soundings
- Vision Marine smashes the world record for world’s fastest electric boat – Powerboat World
- Electric boat breaks new speed record at 109 mph with Vision Marine’s new outboard motor – Electrek
- The World’s First 100+ Mph Electric Boat Is Here, Watch the Record-Breaking V32 in Action – Autoevolution
- Premier bateau électrique à 100 mph au monde : Vision Marine bat le record du monde – Marine Industry News
- Vision Marine Sets Electric Speed Record – CleanTechnica
- Electric boat breaks speed record with 109 MPH . track – News7g
- Vision Marine Sets Electric Speed Record – Trend Radars
STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE LATEST NEWS ON VMAR
Leader in Electric Marine Technology
AS SEEN IN